There are a lot of misunderstood concepts of feminism. Lots of people (women included) believe that feminism is a sexist movement, that it is only for women and isn’t about equality. Of course, this is all wrong!
For the men reading this, answer truthfully in your mind to the following statements. Think about if they have ever applied to you, if you’ve ever experienced any of them.
- Been told, or felt like your body isn’t strong enough, slim enough or muscular enough?
- Been told you cannot express your emotions without being called a girl, wimp or told to get over it.
- Been told to “man up”?
- Been pressured to be tough, competitive, and overly “masculine”
- Been ashamed of your hobbies such as cooking, dancing, or fashion because of them being typically “girly”
If one or more of these applies to you, guess what? YA NEED FEMINISM
Feminism is about challenging social norms, gender roles and equalizing the treatment of people irregardless of their sex/gender.
Just because a man is a man, does not mean he needs to stick to the social requirements that are institutionalised through every day life events.
Men can cry, they can laugh, sing, dance, cook, bring up children. And these shouldn’t be questioned.
Men experience a lot of discrimination and sexism too. And it’s important that this is addressed and that men are aware of this and know how to tackle it.
- The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
- The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities
- The doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men
If you believe in these points, you’re a feminist, and need feminism!
What are your experiences with sexism? Or Feminism,
What do you think of the movement. Comment below!